Sunday, July 24, 2011

Can I talk to her?

Star Wars, Star Wars and more Star Wars ... that is pretty much what we hear about around here on most days.

So ... when the awesome Wishcraft costume catalog arrived AND it had an entire page dedicated to Star Wars, well we knew that something was going to get ordered.

In the past we have not told the kids what we are getting them for their birthday or Christmas, but I wanted to make sure that I ordered the one that Slater wanted the most and I really wasn't sure which one that was. There were a variety of competitors - Commander Fox, Captain Rex, Anakin Skywalker, Yoda and Jengo Fett. After careful consideration and discussion, Jengo Fett was selected.

Now I explained that this was a magazine, so we would have to call, order the costume and then wait for them to deliver it in the mail, which might take several weeks. I did this promptly, since we live in Alaska and that always takes extra time. This concept did NOT make sense to Slater, once he had selected the costume he thought we should just be able to run down to the store and get it. Actually, as soon as he selected the costume he put on his shoes brought me mine and said, "Come on mom, lets go get my Jengo Fett." I explained the reality of the situation again, but it still wasn't making sense to him.

This went on for quite a while (long enough for me to grind my teeth whenever he mentioned it). So I patiently said, "Remember Slater, I called the lady on the phone and ordered it."

Slater grinned and held up a finger, "I got an idea Mom."
"What is that sweetheart?"
Slater walked over and grabbed the phone, "Can I talk to her?"

It was such a grown-up thing to say, but I didn't really want to call the company and bother someone while they were at work. Lucky for me I have lots of fabulous mom friend who are always willing to help out. The conversation went a little like this:

Slater: Hey lady (yeah apparently we need to work on phone manners)
Sam: Yes sir?
Slater: I want a Jengo Fett costume!
Sam: Alright sir we will send you one, it will be there on Friday
Slater: Thanks ... bye lady.

He actually did not mention the subject again for over an hour! Even better is the fact that I can now say - "Well, what did the lady on the phone say?"

No comments:

Post a Comment